If you’re from the South, chances are good that you eat biscuits. Lots of biscuits. People look forward to fresh-from-the-oven biscuits on weekends, lazy mornings and holidays. Biscuits have been a staple in Southern homes since at least 1875 when Alexander P. Ashbourne patented the first biscuit cutter. And since then, homemade biscuits have remained one of those foods that just makes people happy.
When biscuits are done right—like our light and fluffy Byrd Mill Buttermilk Biscuits and Byrd Mill Sweet Potato Biscuits—they’re traditionally served with a simple pat of butter. But sometimes, it’s worth bucking tradition. Do something different. Try a biscuit sandwich.
With National Buttermilk Biscuit Day (May 14) right around the corner, it’s time to start sampling new ways to honor the humble biscuit. Here are 10 simple ways to turn Byrd Mill’s already delicious biscuits into extraordinary biscuit sandwiches:
1. Fried green tomato biscuits
2. Fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil biscuits
3. Ham and Swiss biscuits with sweet pickles
4. BLT with avocado biscuit
5. Turkey and cranberry biscuit
6. Pimento cheese biscuits
7. Peanut butter and banana biscuits
8. Egg and American cheese biscuits
9. Southern Sausage Gravy over Biscuit
10. Southern Biscuits with Old Fashioned Tomato Gravy